If your iPhone won’t charge when plugged in then there can be many reasons for it. Yesterday I noticed that my iPhone wont charge but it says its charging. My iPhone not charging made me panicked for a while.
Well, First I want to welcome all of you to my blog. And yes this is my first article. Many of my friends who use iPhone’s come up to me with different issues they are facing. Two of them says there iPhone doesn’t charge.
So yes I decided to write an article on iPhone wont charge issue and here I am.
Why My iPhone Not Charging?
Why wont my iPhone charge? This leads me to a tech expedition to various tech experts and I fixed it myself.
Interestingly iPhone charging problems can be easily identified and fixed. So what to do if your iPhone won’t charge?
By the end of this post, you will be able to diagnose and fix your iPhone charging issues easily.
Here is a certified list of practical and effective step by step solutions to fix iPhone charging problems.
iPhone Won’t Charge? – Reasons & Fix
1: That Dirty iPhone’s Charging Port (yikes !)
Presence of any unwanted tiny objects such as dirt or debris in your iPhone charging port can lead to charging problems.
A layer of such unwanted objects blocks the connectivity between your device and the power source i.e. iPhone charger.
Hence you are left with scratching your head in sheer panic.
Don’t panic.This is a common reason for charging issues. Let us check if it is the culprit?
How To Check For Dirt In Charging Port?
Use a flashlight and look deep into your iPhone charging port.
- If you don’t find anything.( skip to reason no 2)
- If you do find anything suspicious, read further…
There is a FIX.
How To Clean An iPhone Charging Port?
- Use a normal toothpick to clean dirt or debris.
- Do it gently, “Don’t Kill the Chicken”.
- You can also use an air blower to clean out the dust.
- try to charge it again, you are done.
But In case you not able to clean the dusty charging port. Don’t even try it forcefully. Leave it to experts.
You might end up damaging the port.
Tip: Never use pointed metal objects or liquids to do so, you may further damage your device.
2: iPhone Won’t Charge? It Can Be A Software Issue
Malfunctioning of device software can contribute to charging problems in an iPhone.
If your iPhone not charging then there is a good chance that iOS is the culprit.
Even Common events such as Update of latest iOS version can sometimes become an influencing factor in charging problems.
How To Check If There Is An iOS Software Issue?
“Has my iPhone stopped charging just after the software update?”
- If your answer is “Yes” then it is clear. Let’s Fix it!
- If your answer is “No” then hold on.
A Software can still malfunction due to any other reason non-visible to you.
So Let’s Fix It!
We recommend to Hard Reset your iPhone.This will make you rid of every kind of software issue if any. If you are wondering what is a hard resetting? Then here is the brief explanation:
A hard reset also called as a factory reset or master reset, is the recovery of a device to the state it was in when it left the factory. All settings, applications and data added by the user are removed.
So better backup your iPhone before performing this operation.
How to Hard Reset iPhone?
-For iPhone X, iPhone 8, OR iPhone 8 PLUS:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button
- press and hold the On/off button wait until you see the Apple logo.
-For iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
- Press both the On/off and the Volume Down buttons and hold for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
-For iPhone 6s and earlier devices:
- Press Home and the On/off button and hold both of them for at least 10 seconds until you see the Apple logo.
Your device has been reset, try charging it again. What to do when iPhone won’t charge after performing all the above tasks? Let’s move to the next method…
3: Outdated iOS May Be the Reason Why Your iPhone Won’t Charge
iPhone won’t charge and it’s not the charger? Then maybe you should update your iOS to the latest version.iOS is the device Operating System (OS) for your Apple iPhone.
Outdated OS on your iPhone may lead to charging problems.
An Outdated iOS makes the device non-responsive to charging power source.
Here’s Is How To Fix Outdated Apple iOS?
-Fix it From your iPhone itself
- Connect to a stable internet source.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Finally, tap Download and Install.
Note: you need at least 50% battery to do it else does it via iTunes.
iPhone Low On Battery?
You can still Do it via iTunes.
How To Fix Outdated iOS Via iTunes?
- Connect your iOS device to your Computer device.
- Opens the iTunes page.
- Click the iPhone icon in the top-left corner of iTunes, next to the drop-down menu for the various sections of your iTunes library.
- Check for Update.
- Download and Update
Congrats your iOS has been updated successfully.
4: Defective iPhone Apple Charger (The Broken Bridge!)
A malfunctioning USB charging cable is the most common reason for iPhone’s not charging.
A USB cable is the power cable bridge between your charging adaptor and your device charging port.
Any fault in a USB cable will directly lead to charging issues on your Apple device and can also damage your iPhone.
What Does Make a USB Malfunction?
Physical damage, wear and tear use, and exposure to water can contribute to damage your USB charging cable.
How To Diagnose A Malfunctioned USB Cable?
- Check it physically for any sign of physical damage such as a Bent or a cut.
- Check both the ends and observe any damage to connectors.
- Try to charge your device using at least two different cables.
- Use your cable to charge another well functioning iPhone device.
In case of a malfunctioned cable Replace It.
Tip: Make sure to buy only Apple-certified cables for quality service and healthy life of your iPhone device.
5) Problem In Charging Adapter (The flaw in our Charger !)
The charging adapter can malfunction or stop working for many reasons. And this may lead to charging problems in your Apple iPhone.
What Makes An Adapter Not Working?
It can be the use of a non-apple certified charging cable or the adapter itself.
How To Check A Malfunctioning Charging Adapter?
- Try to charge your device using a known working adapter.
- Try to use your non-working adapter to charge any other Apple iPhone.
- Make sure you try at least two different chargers to be confirmed.
- This will make it clear if your charger is damaged.
A Non-Responsive Wall Socket (this is rare but possible)
A non-responsive wall socket can also give you a wrong idea that the charger is not working.
The difference in current output makes a socket nonresponsive to a charger.
Make sure you put on your charger into different sockets before jumping to a conclusion.
6: Hardware Damage ( More Obvious to Recognize)
Apple iPhones are durable devices but when tested against limits they may end up becoming unsupportive to charging.Most of the iPhone won’t charge due to physical damages.
Physical Damages such as:
- Exposure to water for a long time.
- Exposure to a high degree of heat.
- A Freefall disaster.
- A failed battery.
Any of these can cause Damage to your Apple iPhone device.
Hardware damages disrupt the internal functioning of your device. They can lead to many problems such as the device being non-responsive to touch function to charging problems.
Contact iPhone Customer Care
If you have tried all the fixes given above and then also your iPhone won’t charge then its time to contact the geeks.
Pay a visit to your nearest apple store and get your iPhone repaired
I hope I have covered all the reasons Why your iPhone won’t charge. Did any the fixes above solve your iPhone not charging issue?
Do comment and let me know if it did. If Not! then let me know how you got it fixed.
Do share this article with your friends on Facebook or whatever social network you use. Please just share.